Teaching, Learning, meet Technology.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

On change and practical vision

After over a month of madness, I feel I can now come up for air, breathe, and reflect a little on what's been happening. First things first. I'm in the middle of my third week in my new role at QUT. Making the decision to leave Bond after only a year was difficult, but I'm now even more confidant that it was the right one. I really do feel that I had taken my work at Bond as far as I wanted to take it, and I had achieve in a year far more than I expected to have achieved (and far far more than anyone at Bond expected me to achieve. I'm happy to have laid some good foundations for others to build on.

Being at QUT has put me back in a position where I'm really working as part of a management team towards a shared vision. I really am loving the energy the environment is producing. I'm loving working with link-minded and passionate people who know exactly where my ideas are coming from because they've come from there too. Having a shared vision means that we're all working in the same direction from the same blueprint. It's wonderful.

On the walk home today (yes, my commute now includes a significant portion of walking!) I began to think about driving a vision and the pitfalls around the formation and communication of a vision. I'm a terribly pragmatic person and a very strong believer in what I'm calling 'practical vision'. There is a place for those people who blue sky think and come up with the ideas that amaze and inspire us but that we know will never actually be realised. There is also a great need for those people with practical vision, who are able to develop and effectively communicate a direction which is achievable and which services a need better than anything else.

The worst, however, is those who attempt to be be both types of people in one. These are the people who's vision is full of blue sky but who persist in putting it into practice regardless of it's impracticality. What results is something that services a need that doesn't exist and which hinders putting real innovation into practice.

I hope to further grow my abilities as a practical visionary. I have some great examples to follow in some of the people I'm now working with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home